Places to visit around Cambridge, Cambridgeshire.

The Imperial War Museum in Duxford

During World War I, construction began on the Duxford aerodrome. It was one of the earliest bases to be established by the Royal Air Force. Duxford was one of many new airfields that were constructed in 1917 as part of the expansion of the Royal Flying Corps to accommodate the training of RFC pilots. In contrast to many other airfields of a similar nature in a reduced Royal Air Force, it continued to operate after the war. In the beginning, it served as a training school; in 1924, it was converted into a fighter station, and during those 37 years, it was very successful. By 1938, the No. 19 Squadron at RAF Duxford was already so well-known that it was chosen to be the first squadron to receive the brand-new Supermarine Spitfire. The first Spitfire to arrive at RAF Duxford did so in the month of August of that year. In June of 1940, German forces invaded Belgium, Holland, and France, and quickly took control of all three countries. The conquest of Britain was the next objective for Germany. The RAF Duxford base was brought up to its full level of operational readiness. After that, there was a significant amount of aerial conflict that would later become known as the Battle of Britain. Following that, the station contributed to the protection of British airspace. It was "Battle of Britain Day" on September 15, 1940, and its squadrons made two sorties that day to thwart Luftwaffe attacks on London. The station was then used as a launch point for test and trial units. Before handing over its new plane to the United States Army Air Forces, this provided the Royal Air Force with essential information regarding the aircraft's potential performance in combat. April 1943 saw the arrival of the 78th Fighter Group at RAF Duxford, which the Americans quickly renamed "Station 357" upon their arrival. Their primary objective was to safeguard the large fleets of bombers belonging to the Eighth Air Force of the United States of America as they conducted risky and expensive daylight raids over Germany. Every 78th Fighter Group Thunderbolt that was available on D-Day, June 6, 1944, when the Allies finally began their long-awaited invasion of occupied Europe, they attacked targets behind the Normandy beachheads. After World War II, the Royal Air Force station at Duxford was brought back into service. This signalled the beginning of the operation's final phase of production. Now that it had jet fighters like the Gloster Meteor, Hawker Hunter, and Gloster Javelin, the pilots of this nation's aircraft were prepared to engage Soviet bombers in combat. However, Duxford's time as a Royal Air Force base was coming to an end because the defence requirements that had initially made it a fighter station were no longer present. These requirements had made Duxford a fighter station in the first place. It was both too far south and too far inland to justify the expensive changes that would have been required for supersonic fighters. In July of 1961, the last flight to depart from RAF Duxford took off, and for the following 15 years, it was unknown what would take place at the airfield. The Imperial War Museum (IWM) needed to find a new location so that it could store, restore, and eventually display exhibits that were too big for its headquarters in London. The utilisation of the airfield for such an objective was given permission. The nearly lifeless aerodrome was given a new lease on life thanks to the efforts of the Cambridgeshire County Council, the Imperial War Museum, and the Duxford Aviation Society. IWM Duxford is widely recognised as the aviation history centre for all of Europe. This museum stands out due to the presence of a historic site, world-class exhibit collections, and regular air shows that are known all over the world.

The Botanic Gardens of the University of Cambridge

Over 8,000 plant species originating from every continent can be found within the walls of the Cambridge University Botanic Garden (CUBG). This is helpful in both the classroom and in research. At the Garden, researchers and educators have access to a wide variety of plants as well as horticultural knowledge and facilities. On the other hand, ever since it was established, the Garden has been a stunning location that anyone and everyone can visit to take pleasure in and gain knowledge from. It showcases a number of breathtaking landscapes, each of which provides visitors with the opportunity to gain an appreciation for the complexity of flora. In 1762, what is now known as the New Museums Site in the middle of the city was the location of the first Botanic Garden ever established by Cambridge University. Its greenhouse produced plants that were utilised in teaching future doctors. When John Henslow accepted the position of Chair of Botany at the University in 1825, he was 29 years old at the time. The field of botany had hit rock bottom at the time. Due to the fact that it had been thirty years since the previous lecture, the Botanic Garden that was located in the middle of the city had fallen into disrepair. Because of Henslow's doggedness and political savviness, the University of Cambridge carpet, rug and upholstery cleaning in Cambridge was convinced that the Botanic Garden needed to be moved to a much larger location in order to accommodate serious experimental botany during the period when Cambridge's natural science programmes were beginning to flourish in the early 1800s. The additional land area would make it possible to cultivate and research the fascinating new species of trees that were just being discovered in western North America at the time. It would no longer be acceptable to consider botanical gardens to be nothing more than drug plant nurseries with the sole purpose of instructing medical students. On the other hand, Henslow was of the opinion that this Garden ought to be utilised for the purpose of research on the plants themselves. In 1831, Trinity Hall donated a 16-hectare plot of land to the University of Dublin, which was located one mile south of the city centre. However, due to legal issues, the land could not be developed right away. However, planting did not begin until the year 1846, and due to the higher cost, the university only paid to develop the western half of the land. Henslow worked closely with Andrew Murray, who served as the first Garden Curator, to plan and design the garden. A winding path that goes all the way around the garden is part of Murray's design. The Main Walk, which is made up of magnificent and stately coniferous trees, serves as a divider between the east and west halves of the path. Outside of the path that encircled the property, a row of trees belonging to the same family was planted. The area to the north of the Main Walk featured a lake in the shape of a U, and the area to the south featured an intricate arrangement of herbaceous systematics beds. The heritage landscape that currently holds a Grade II* rating was created as a result of this plan. The design is done in the "Gardenesque" style that was popular during that time period. This style incorporates both individual plants and carefully crafted landscapes.

The top of Castle Hill in Cambridge

Castle Hill is a significant part of Cambridge's history, despite the fact that there are no ruins to be found there. This location was once home to Duroliponte, a hill fort that dates back to the Iron Age and later evolved into a Roman town. When you reach the summit of the Castle Mound, you will be rewarded with a breathtaking vista that takes in the entire town as well as the countryside in all directions. You should be able to make out Ely Cathedral if the sky in the north is clear. William I commissioned the construction of Cambridge Castle in 1068 so that he could keep the area secure during Hereward the Wake's uprising. During the time of the Anarchy, Matilda's forces laid siege to the city, but they were unsuccessful. In the later stages of the First Barons' War, French forces were victorious and took control of the castle. In the late 1300s, a significant portion of the structure was reconstructed; however, it was not maintained, and as a result, it quickly fell into disrepair. During the Bronze and Iron Ages, people made their homes on Castle Hill, which would later become the location of a mediaeval fort. Ermine Street was built by the Roman army as an important route from London to the north shortly after the Roman conquest of Britain in the year 43 AD. The western portion of Cambridgeshire was traversed by it. After the Boudica rebellion in the year AD 60, the military decided to build a fort on Castle Hill in order to ensure the safety of the surrounding area. Akeman Street served as the link that brought Ermine Street up to the fort. It was rebuilt in the 70s AD, but the military abandoned it soon after, and it was turned into Duroliponte, which flourished due to its proximity to a road and the River Cam. By the fourth century A.D., the Roman military was having a difficult time dealing with raiders from Denmark and Germany who arrived at the town via boat and then used the river to get into the city. Walls made of limestone were constructed to serve as a barrier around the area. At the beginning of the fifth century A.D., when the Roman army left Cambridgeshire, the Angles took over the region. Before Mercia conquered the region at the tail end of the eighth century AD, the county was occupied by a number of different tribes. Up until the year 875, the Mercians were in control of Cambridge. However, in that year, the Viking commander Guthrum moved in and fortified the area as a part of the Danelaw. On the other hand, in the year 905, King Edward the Elder of Wessex launched an assault and successfully took control of Cambridgeshire. By the year 921, Cambridge had developed into a fortified town (town). These defences, which may have followed in the footsteps of the Romans, consisted of an earth and wood rampart backed by a ditch that surrounded an elliptical area with the River Cam on the west side. They may have also been built by the Romans. By the middle of the 10th century, Cambridge had developed into one of the largest towns in Eastern England due to its rapid population growth.

The Central Mosque Cambridge

The Cambridge Central Mosque was the first mosque in the city to be purpose-built, and it was also the first mosque in Europe to be environmentally friendly. In order to be of service to the Muslim community in the United Kingdom and beyond, its mission is to advance best practises in faith, community development, social cohesion, and interfaith dialogue. On April 24, 2019, the Cambridge Central Mosque first opened its doors to the general public. According to architect Julia Barfield, the appearance of a mosque is not predetermined in any way. It differs depending on where you are; wherever Muslims need a place to pray, the architecture reflects the local aesthetic. This is true in Egypt, Andalusia, Turkey, Indonesia, and the Arabian Peninsula. In China, it could be a collection of pavilions with roofs resembling pagodas, while in Sub-Saharan Africa, it could be mud bricks or rammed earth structures. It might have a single dome, multiple domes, or a flat roof that is supported by many columns. All of these options are possible. It could be crafted from solid stone, sturdy timber, or even concrete. In the late nineteenth century, the first mosques were constructed in the United Kingdom. One was carved out of an existing terrace in Liverpool, and another was built from the ground up in Woking, Surrey. Both of these mosques were located in Surrey. However, the typical design of a British mosque is still unknown. The most common approach, which is frequently driven by the need to serve as many people as possible within limited budgets, is to build a plain box that is then decorated with motifs referring to the primary country of origin of the congregations (Ottoman for Turks and Cypriots, Moghul for people from the subcontinent), or from which the majority of the funding came. For example, a mosque in London may have Moghul

The Church of All Saints

In the middle of Cambridge, directly across from the entrances to Jesus College, is where you'll find All Saints', a well-known landmark that's easily identifiable thanks to the light-coloured stone spire it features. It was constructed in the 1860s according to the designs of G.F. Bodley, who was a famous architect working in the 19th century, and it is regarded as a masterpiece of Victorian art and architecture. The interior has been elaborately embellished with nearly every surface being painted, stencilled, or gilded, and there is an abundance of flowers covering the walls. A number of well-known Arts and Crafts artists, such as William Morris and Ford Madox Brown, were responsible for the design of the stained glass windows that emit light. The Churches Conservation Trust is responsible for the maintenance of the building, which welcomes visitors on a daily basis. In the middle of Cambridge, directly across from the entrances to Jesus College, is where you'll find All Saints', a well-known landmark that's easily identifiable thanks to the light-coloured stone spire it features. It was constructed in the 1860s according to the designs of G.F. Bodley, who was a well-known architect in the nineteenth century, and it is regarded as a masterpiece of Victorian art and architecture. The door is made of wood, but behind it is an eye-popping display of colour and pattern. Artists of the Arts and Crafts movement such as William Morris, Edward Burne-Jones, and Ford Madox Brown were responsible for the design of the stained-glass windows.

The Clock of the Corpus

Locals and tourists alike have come to recognise the Corpus Clock as one of the most iconic public monuments in Cambridge ever since it was first presented to the public in the year 2008. It is a one-of-a-kind watch that can hypnotise you with its stunning good looks while also giving you the creeps. Dr. John C. Taylor OBE FREng was the one who came up with the idea, designed it, and then gave it to Corpus Christi College (m1959). The Clock was created through a partnership between the local engineering firm Huxley Bertram and its designers. The face of the clock is covered in a pure gold plating, and the radiating ripples on it make a reference to the Big Bang, which was the central impact that created the universe and could be considered the beginning of time. The clock is perched atop an extraordinary monster called the Chronophage, which literally translates to "time-eater," because that is exactly what the Chronophage does: it devours each minute that passes with a snap of its jaws. The Chronophage is perched atop an extraordinary monster known as the Chronophage. It originates from a grasshopper, which is a term that was coined by horologist John Harrison in the eighteenth century to describe his invention of a strictly functional escapement. Carpet Cleaners The grasshopper was the progenitor of this particular escapement. Because it does not have hands or digital numbers, the Corpus Clock initially gives the impression that it is difficult to read the time. If you look carefully, you'll notice that there are three rings of LEDs, with the middle one displaying the time in hours, minutes, and seconds. When the hour arrives, the only sounds that can be heard are the swaying of chains and the thumping of a hammer on a wooden coffin. There is no ringing of bells. The passing of time and the end of our lives is symbolised by the Latin phrase "mundus transit et concupiscentia eius," which can be translated as "the world and its desires pass away." This inscription is located beneath the clock. In addition, the word "Joh. Sartor Monan Inv. MMVIII" is written on the pendulum in Latin. This phrase literally translates to "Joh. Sartor Monan Inv. MMVIII." In this acronym, Joh. stands for the name Johannes, Sartor is the mediaeval Latin word for tailor, Monanensis refers to the Isle of Man, Inv. is the Latin verb invenit, which can mean discovered, made, or brought to fruition, and MMVIII is the year 2008. In 2008, John Taylor of the Isle of Man was successful in accomplishing this feat. The Clock was built on the site of a former Natwest Bank, which was originally a building that housed the London County Bank and was designed in 1866 by architect Horace Francis.

Market Square

In Cambridge, which is famous for its many markets, the historic market square in the centre of the city has been the location of merchants' stalls and stands since the Middle Ages. The stalls are open from ten in the morning until four in the afternoon, Monday through Sunday, and sell a variety of goods, including but not limited to street food, books, vinyl, CDs, and DVDs. Items such as clothing, jewellery, and handbags are all examples of such goods. Fruits, vegetables, and fresh fish all contain a significant amount of various nutrients. Plants for the garden and used bicycles up for grabs There is a great deal more to mobile phones and the accessories that go along with them! On Sundays, from 10 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon, the market square plays host to a bustling local food, arts and crafts market. The vendors at the market sell organic produce that was grown by local farmers in addition to works created by some of the most talented artists, craftsmen, potters, sculptors, and photographers in the surrounding area.

The Mathematical Bridge

William Etheridge (1709-1766) was the architect who designed the bridge in 1748, and James Essex the Younger was the builder of the bridge in 1749. (1722–84). Both the 1866 and 1905 reconstructions of it used the same blueprints for their construction. On the right side of the picture is the riverside building, which was constructed around 1460 and is Cambridge's oldest building on the river. It is the oldest building in Cambridge. It has been integrated into the President's Lodge at this point. The plan represents a modest achievement in engineering from the middle of the 18th century. James King, who passed away in 1744, was the one who established it. A river that is fifty feet wide is crossed by a bridge that is constructed out of a number of shorter pieces of wood. For example, the horizontal piece that looks like it would span the entire river is actually constructed out of six separate shorter pieces of wood that have been joined end-to-end. The structure is an adaptation of a voussoir arch bridge made of wood, and the force of gravity acting on the entire structure causes each component to be compressed: In order for a voussoir bridge to be functional, the compressive forces that act on the arch's springing point need to be counterbalanced by sturdy abutments. Bending wood weakens it (think about how easy it is to break a match by bending it). Due to the design of this bridge, the timbers that make up the side trusses do not need to bend very much or at all: The triangulation in the side trusses not only gives them strength without causing them to become excessively heavy, but it also prevents the joints between the arch's segments from bending. The structure suffers less damage from the effects of side winds as a result of the fact that the sides are not filled in. The sole piece of cross-bracing can be found directly beneath the walkway. It was stated that if a piece of a side truss needed to be replaced with a new piece of wood, that piece could be removed and replaced without affecting its neighbours or necessitating the dismantling of the entire bridge. This was one of the claims made regarding the constructability of the bridge. In the real world, this has never been attempted before.

The Wren Library and Archive

The Wren Library is regarded as one of the most famous and historically significant college libraries in all of Cambridge. You should go there if you have any interest in either old buildings or books. Sir Christopher Wren, a well-known stonemason and architect in the United Kingdom, was responsible for the design of the library. It is just one of the many buildings that he designed or constructed for Cambridge University's colleges. The chapel at Emmanuel College and the Wren (Kitchen) bridge at St. John's are two more examples of his work in the city of Cambridge (although he did not build this). The most valuable and well-known books in all of Cambridge can be found in this particular library. This location serves as a repository for the first edition of Sir Isaac Newton's Principia Mathematica and the first two folios of Shakespeare's works, both of which date back to Shakespeare's time. In addition to that, it features A.A. Milne's original drawings of Winnie the Pooh.